Tuesday 28 December 2010

Film Magazine Cover

I have also done research on film magazine covers which would cover my target audience that I have chosen to aim my teaser trailer at. I have found four well known film magazine covers which I can analyse and use as research. From these four covers, I can then use them to base my own magazine cover around them and either challenge or keep the conventions of a popular film magazine cover.

The front cover of a 2009 issue of Empire Magazine.
From the analysis of the film magazine Empire, the title is block, bright colours which is the first thing that attracted me to the magazine when I first look at it. Having a clear block capital bright title makes the magazine stand out against others when it is piled up on shelves in shops. The main image that is spread across the entire front page shows the character from the film that's been a hit with the audience in the past. You can tell that it is an image from a sequel film because of the quote on the right hand side '*Bloody Hell Harry comes fighting back'. The image in the bottom left hand corner shows characters from three big upcoming up movies which is a good way of grabbing peoples attention because they see the image and they want to find out about it. I don't think this is a convention of movie posters but I may just follow this magazine layout and add a couple of images of upcoming movies to my front cover.

The cover of a weekly film magazine, Entertainment Weekly. This front cover is similar to the one above with the block letters and bright colours. The colour blue is consistent over the front page unlike the colour red on the Empire Magazine. Using the same colour for story lines that are the same colour as the title makes them stand out against everything else that is on the page and it makes that story stand out more than the others. It's a simple magazine front cover unlike Empire which has a lot of different film titles that grab your attention. I think the simple layout works well with the type of image that it is as it makes it look more powerful because it's not being overtaken by loads of eye catching film titles.



One of the most popular film magazines, Total Film.
Total Film is one of the most popular film magazines that are about. This is different from the other two that I have analysed as it doesn't have any film names, stories, gossip about celebs or images which is unusual for a film magazine. This layout is not a convention of a typical film magazine because there would normally be a few film titles on the front cover being advertised or at least a couple of images. This magazines title is also block capitals like the other two posters which shows that a block capital title could be a convention of film magazines. I like the way that 'Total' has been placed in the 'F' of film as it makes it different from just having a simple block title. I've noticed that 'Entertainment Weekly' is a similar title to 'Total Film' because the 'Weekly' is in the last few letters of 'Entertainment'. Before analysing these posters, I didn't know that 'weekly' was in the word 'Entertainment'.

Front Cover of a issue of the film magazine Premiere. This magazine cover is different to the others in many ways because the title isn't as blocked as the other titles that I have analysed which shows that not all magazines follow the conventions of magazine covers. I think the title itself is effective as 'Premiere' is normally associated with Film releases and the red carpet. The main colours that this cover has used are blue, white and black which are simple colours that are easy to read and they all work well together which helps make the magazine cover effective. I think that the long list of celebrity names is a little odd and it doesn't look right for the layout of the cover. Having a list of films/celebs is an idea that I will not be following when making my own magazine cover.





This is my own magazine which I have created. I decided to go with the convention of film magazines and make my title bold so that it stands out against the picture. The title of my Magazine is Mad.About.Movies which I thought was too long for a magazine cover so I abbreviated it to M.A.M and then underneath the title I put a little tag line that explain the abbreviated title which says 'Mad About Movies has all the up to date movie gossip'.

No comments:

Post a Comment